WRITE OUT LOUD, an organization founded in 2007 with a commitment to inspire, challenge and entertain by reading literature aloud for a live audience - announces the 13th Annual TwainFest. Twainfest will take place on Saturday, August 20 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Heritage County Park,. There is a limited capacity - so reservations are required for your free entry.
TwainFest, now a tradition for many San Diego families, is an all-day FREE festival celebrating Mark Twain and the literature and culture of 19th Century America. There is something for everyone at this festive old-fashioned gathering. Write Out Loud Artistic Director, Veronica Murphy, shared “We are so grateful to be returning to Heritage Park for this year’s celebration. TwainFest provides new interactive experiences with Don Quixote, Meg and Jo of Little Women fame, and other literary favorites. Reading aloud is what we do - we look forward to sharing it with the community.”
Returning Festival Favorites:
• Local San Diego performers present 19th Century stories and poems by Mark
Twain, Lewis Carroll, Miguel de Cervantes, Robert Louis Stevenson, Louisa May
Alcott, Alice Dunbar Nelson and Kenneth Grahame.
• Mad Hatters Tea Party - immerse yourself in an interactive event with The Mad
Hatter, Alice, White Rabbit & Door Mouse as you explore the world of Lewis
• Tom Sawyer’s Fence Painting - Tom Sawyer, Aunt Polly and Becky Thatcher
seek out children at the park. Working together, they find things to trade with Tom
for permission to help him whitewash the fence!
• The Authors Salon provides the opportunity to meet beloved writers of the
period; Mark Twain, Edgar Allan Poe, Emily Dickinson and Henry David Thoreau.
• Giant puppets of Mark Twain, Emily Dickinson, Paul Laurence Dunbar and
Edgar Allan Poe will wander the park.
• An arcade of unique literary games and activities designed especially for
TwainFest will entertain players of all ages. Games & activities include:
Calaveras Jumping Frog Launch, Frog Toss, Never-ending Story, Election of
1872, Huck Finn’s Rope Making, Fishing for Words, Wheel of Fiction, Chortle
This and Red Queen’s Croquet.
• Free books are provided at the Book Emporium to all who participate.
Admission/Cost: FREE Please Register
Heritage County Park
2454 Heritage Park Row
San Diego, CA 92110
Saturday, August 20 - 11:00 AM